Marie's Place

Just little tidbits of my life.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Anonymous Matrimony

So, we attended two wedding on Saturday. It amazed me, as it has in the past, how impersonal some weddings are. I know it would be impossible for all ministers, priests, etc. to personally know all the couples they marry. But, how hard would it be to ask a few questions beforehand to find out a few things about the couple? For one of the weddings, the couple has asked the chaplain from their university to come to town to officiate. When I found that out, I thought, good, this will be good, he knows them. Well, maybe he knew them, but he sure didn't act like it. He told a story about a couple who always repeated their vows on their anniversaries, it was very touching. However, he never made any personal reference to the two young people pledging their love that day. Those types of weddings leave me feeling empty.

When Amy and Ed married, Father McDade made it his business to get to know them and, at the rehearsal dinner, asked people questions, so during the wedding he gave a very personal and touching sermon.

Ok, I guess I've preached about that enough. I'm going to the zoo with Amy and Eamon and a friend of Amy's and her baby and mother. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment